Sunday, July 30, 2006

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer."

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

I heard the first line quoted on TV the other day, taken from one of favourite sci-fi books of all time, Dune by Frank Herbert. The show in question was (get this...) Room Raiders on MTV...!



Dune is such an awesome space opera. It has politics, great characterization, a riveting storyline, factions (i love books with warring factions!) and a Messiah.

To this day, I am still puzzled why Herbert didn't stop at Book 2. The last 4 were unbelieveably disappointing for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger DPTH International said...

Hey Simon.

I'm a late comer with FFMB. Nice blog. I'm a sci-fi/fantasy reader myself though I haven't a lot of the classics. I've been meaning to re-read the Chrysalids myself, and with your comments I think I'll just do that! If you like the fantasy genre at all, I've enjoyed reading the short stories of Conan The Barbarian by Robert E. Howard. Simple yet exciting.

Keep up the good work!

DPTH

1:25 am  
Blogger Yoong Family said...

thanks, man. always love to hear from fellow scifi fans. i used to read conan when i was small, maybe i should go back to them some day.

8:31 am  
Blogger Amelia said...

I quite like this litany of fear and sometimes repeat it to myself as well :) It makes sense and in a way is oddly encouraging.

2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home