Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Slow Going with Le Carre

I'm ploughing through Absolute Friends by John Le Carre for almost two months now. It's really slow going. I dunno, maybe its just me, i find his style of writing very tedious and digressive.



Back in the 80's John Le Carre was supposed to be the cool espionage thriller writer, and while is my first Le Carre book, i'm feeling his grip on fiction is as outdated as the cold war. No doubt a lot of his fans still love him, it's just not for me.

150 more pages... can't wait to finish it so i can start another book.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

john's style of writing is really tedious. I don't think it is you. But rare to find people who might be interested in his books.

1:20 pm  
Blogger Mat Salo said...

Lol! I thought I was the only to find going through this book a chore! Actually, I broke your record already ha, I've already dragged this book for the last three months and now I lost the bookmark so I'd better start from scratch..because I've forgotten the plot. If I may, may I recomend you to Bill Bryson's books? BTW, Your write beautifully and I particularly enjoyed that tongue-in-cheek jibe on mainstream media's attn to SN /DK...

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fat4 - you too? I really regret buying the book, even on sale.

mat sale - haha... took me awhile to figure out what you meant by "SN/DK". i thought it was book related. Bill bryson - haven't read it yet, but seen his books b4.

8:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home